Wednesday, December 18, 2013

December Daily - December 18

My mom got this recipe from the mom of my best friend when I was in 3rd or 4th grade. We lived in Topeka at the time, and I had two best friends. Our house was in the middle of the street, Crystal's house was at one end and Abby's house was at the other end. Crystal's mom and my mom became pretty good friends and at some point, her mom gave my mom a recipe for "Crunchy Air". This stuff is not as well known as it's popcorn counterparts, but possibly even more delicious because there is no kernel. The corn is puffed so if you coat the puffed corn in enough caramel, it tastes like you're eating caramel covered air. So addictive.

crunchyAir2013
Crunchy Air (aka Caramel Puff Corn)

Ingredients
10oz of butter corn puffs*
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

Put the butter, brown sugar and corn syrup in a medium/large sauce pan and bring to boil. Allow to boil for two minutes, stirring regularly.

While that is boiling pour corn puffs into a large roasting pan.

After the caramel sauce has boiled for 2 minutes, remove from heat and add the baking soda. Stir until it get foamy.

Pour the caramel sauce over the puffed corn and stir to coat the puffed corn.

Bake at 250 degrees for 45 minutes, stirring it around every 15 minutes. When finished, dump onto wax paper and spread out to cool. Break apart clumps of puffed corn once it is cooled. Store in an air tight container.

*Butter Corn Puffs are NOT the cereal. This is found in the chip/popcorn aisle. The three brands that I know of are Art & Marys, Jays/O-KE-DOKE, and Chesters. The different brands are sold in different sized bags. I usually can find Art & Marys or Jays in an 8 oz bag, so I buy two bags and use about 1 & 1/3 bags to 1 & 1/2 bags depending on how much caramel coverage I want. If you want more caramel coverage, just use one 8 oz bag.

(the pictures are actually from when I made it a couple of weeks ago, but I am planning to make more tomorrow night)

30 Days Of Lists
I'm joining in on the 30 Days of Lists - December Edition challenge. Each day they post a list topic and then we make a list. Here is today's list:

On my shopping list...
  • Stocking stuffers
  • One more Christmas present for Justin
  • Groceries for next week
  • TDaP vaccines for Justin & I

No comments:

Post a Comment