Thursday, July 5, 2012

Recipe: Apple Pie

For the Fourth of July, my brother specifically requested an Apple Pie with a pie bird in it. Being the awesome sister that I am, I humored him and made an Apple Pie using a pie bird (borrowed from my mom).

applepie(1)
I couldn't decide on which Apple Pie recipe to use. So I kind of made up my own based on Smitten Kitten's Apple Pie recipe plus a few notes she made about the pie afterwards. And I switched out 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar for brown sugar since so many of the other recipes I saw used a mix of both. I couldn't find McIntosh apples and ended up using Golden Delicious.

2 9" pie crusts (this recipe makes two)
3 Golden Delicious apples (cored, peeled and sliced)
3 Granny Smith apples (cored, peeled and sliced)
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1 egg - beaten
1/2 cup Granulated White Sugar
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp Flour
3/4 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Allspice
1/4 tsp Salt

applepie(2)
Put apples & lemon juice in large colander and toss carefully.

Carefully put one pie crust in the pie plate lifting the edges of the dough to push it down into the bottom corners of the pie plate - try not to trap air bubbles under the dough. Brush with some of the egg (helps the crust not get soggy while baking). Place in fridge while preparing filling.

Combine the sugar, flour, spices and salt in a large bowl. Add the apples and mix gently until all dry ingredients are wet.

If you are using a pie bird, place your pie bird in the middle of your prepared crust. Dump apple mixture into prepared pie crust around the pie bird, create a slight mound in the middle of your pie. If using a pie bird, cut a slit in the middle of the top crust to allow the bird to come through. Carefully lay second pie crust over the filling and press the edges together with the tines of a fork (or however you want to do it). Brush top crust with remaining egg. If you are not using a pie bird, cut slits in the crust to allow the pie to vent.

Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. Then reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue baking for 30-35 minutes. If crust browns quickly, cover with foil, or a pie shield, for remaining cooking time. Pie filling will probably be bubbling through slits when the pie is done.

The Verdict:

My pie was REALLY soupy. I'm not sure if it was because it needed to cook longer - the crust wasn't very brown. Or it I had too much sugar - although that was pretty much standard between all the recipes I looked at. The taste was great, there was just lots of liquid. I may have to try it again to see if I can get the filling right.

applepie(3)

No comments:

Post a Comment