Sunday, May 27, 2012

Recipe: Peach Pie

Today, I made a pie. I made a peach pie. It's not QUITE peach pie season in my opinion because later in the summer the peaches are better. But this pie was delicious anyways.

First of all, the crust. I prefer to use a homemade crust, but I'm also kind of lazy, so this time I still had my mom's food processor so I use the food processor to cut in the butter - so much easier! My pie recipe comes from Pam Anderson from her Pie Tutorial on Pioneer Woman. I prefer to go with all butter instead of using any shortening or lard. The recipe that she has about halfway done the page calls for 3/4 cup of butter and 1/4 cup of leaf lard. I just used 1 cup of butter.

I'm not sure where my Peach Pie recipe came from. I printed it from somewhere, but I failed to keep track of where.

Peach Pie (2)

You need to end up with 5 cups of peeled & sliced peaches. Since all they have right now are these fairly small peaches, I ended up using 10. I didn't actually measure the peaches when I was done, but I think I got about half a cup of peach slices from each of these...maybe?

Peach Pie (3)

Jenni's Peach Pie

2 9" pie crusts (this recipe makes two)
5 cups peeled & sliced peaches
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1 egg - beaten
1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Flour
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Ginger
1/4 tsp Salt

Put peaches & lemon juice in large colander and toss carefully.

Carefully put one pie crust in the pie plate lifting the edges of the dough to push it down into the bottom corners of the pie plate - try not to trap air bubbles under the dough. Brush with some of the egg (helps the crust not get soggy while baking).

Combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, ginger and salt in a large bowl. Add the peaches and mix gently until all dry ingredients are wet.

Dump peach mixture into prepared pie crust. Carefully lay second pie crust over the filling and press the edges together with the tines of a fork (or however you want to do it). Brush top crust with remaining egg. Cut slits in the top crust to allow the steam to escape.

Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. Then reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue baking for 30-35 minutes. If crust browns quickly, cover with foil, or a pie shield, for remaining cooking time. Pie filling will probably be bubbling through slits when the pie is done.

Allow to cool, this pie is best warm instead of really hot. When it's really hot the filling will burn your tongue - trust me!

Peach Pie (1)

I meant to take a few other pictures in there. One of making the pie crust, one of the peaches with the sugar mixture, one of it BEFORE it baked, and one of a piece served up on a plate (with cool whip). But it's hard enough to bake a pie with a toddler running around causing havoc, forget trying to take pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment