Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Recipe: Green Enchiladas

Tonight I made Green Enchiladas for dinner, and they were delicious! I had to make a few changes from Megan's original recipe due to my inability to shop with a hungry, tired and cranky toddler. So here's the way I did it, but visit The Nerd's Nest for the original recipe, which is probably just as good for people that can follow directions.

GreenEnchiladas (1)

You start out with the meat from one rotisserie chicken, one can of green enchilada sauce, a jar of Salsa Verde, a block of cream cheese, 8 oz of shredded cheese and some tortillas. I ended up using 6 of my 8 tortillas before I ran out of space...and filling.

GreenEnchiladas (2)

Since I bought my Rotisserie chicken last night, I shredded it and put the meat in the fridge overnight. Since I didn't want to start with really cold ingredients, I combined the chicken, cream cheese, 1/2 of the shredded cheese, and about 10 oz of the Salsa Verde in a pot on the stove and heated it until the cheeses were melted and it was all creamy. You could also add salt & pepper at this point. I'm terrible about under-seasoning our food and usually forget about adding salt & pepper if there aren't exactly amounts in a recipe. Then you spread the filling down the center-ish of the tortilla and roll is up and put it in a greased 9x13 baking dish.


Pour in the can of green enchilada sauce and cover with the remaining cheese and bake for 15 minutes - just to make it all happy and melty. You can also broil it for a little bit to get the cheese all yummy, but we were ready to eat, so I broiled it for maybe a minute or two and decided it was good enough.

GreenEnchiladas (4)

Then put it on a plate with Spanish corn or whatever kind of Mexican side dish you like.

It made 6 Enchiladas. I probably could've made a 7th one, but my dish was pretty full and I have plans for the other tortillas tomorrow night. I ended up opening up a few of the tortillas to spread in a little more filling so I wasn't wasting it. We ended up only eating three of them (2 for Justin, 1 for Claire & I). Which means I have lunch for the rest of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment