Thursday, May 17, 2012

Black-Pepper Chicken

Tonight I tried a new recipe - Black-Pepper Chicken. I had NEVER had this dish (or particularly even heard of it) until last week when I decided to try it from HyVee's Chinese counter.

I did a Google search to find a similar recipe, most of them called for coating the chicken and frying it (more like general tso's), then I found this recipe on Bo's Bowl. It seemed the most similar to what I wanted.

pepper chicken

I thought it was pretty good...although a little spicy for me - I added a little "Taste of Thai: Garlic Chili Pepper Sauce" so next time I might not do that. Justin did not care for it...too much black pepper in his opinion, although the recipe is called BLACK-PEPPER Chicken. Claire liked it, she ate 4 pieces of the chicken and all her rice.

The Recipe

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
1/2 onion, cut into 1" pieces
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
2 tsp soy sauce - divided
2 tsp black pepper, preferably freshly ground
1 tsp sugar
2-3 tbs vegetable oil
a couple splashes of Garlic Chili Pepper Sauce

Season the chicken with 1 tsp of soy sauce and allow it to marinate for a few minutes. Meanwhile combine the hoisin sauce, 1 tsp soy sauce, black pepper, and sugar. Then set the sauce mixture aside. In a skillet over a high heat add the oil. Then add the chicken and stir-fry until the chicken is browned. Add the onion. Continue to stir-fry for a couple minutes. Then add the sauce. Cook for about 1 minute more. Serve with steamed rice & egg roll.

Here's the original recipe.

What I would do differently

I probably should've sliced my chicken a little thinner, at least some of the pieces. After comparing the ingredients of Hoisin Sauce and Oyster Sauce, the Hoisin has a lot more sugar so if I make this again I'll probably leave out the additional sugar or I'll just take a chance and get the Oyster sauce instead. And probably use a little less pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment