Sunday, November 11, 2012

Recipe: Maple-Brown Sugar Oatmeal Cookies

One of my co-workers asked if I would bring in cookies on Monday, and instead of my normal Chocolate Chip I decided to do something a little different. I was going to make normal Oatmeal Cookies, using the recipe on the lid of the oatmeal, but as I was getting started on the cookies I changed my mind. My favorite flavor of Oatmeal is Maple-Brown Sugar. So I made a few little changes and these are delicious. Just a bit of Maple flavoring and switching out some of the white sugar for brown. Also, there could very well be a recipe for these somewhere on the internet. I don't know. This recipe was entirely made up as I was throwing ingredients into my mixer.



Maple-Brown Sugar Oatmeal Cookies
  • 1 cup Butter, softened (2 sticks, salted)
  • 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
  • 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 tsp Maple Extract
  • 1 3/4 cups Flour
  • 1 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
  • a pinch of cinnamon and/or nutmeg
  • 3 cups Oats

Directions

Cream butter & sugars. Add eggs and maple extract and beat well.

If you're lazy like me, add flour, baking soda, baking powder and spices to mixer, stir just the dry around a little with the measuring spoon and then turn on the mixer. If you aren't lazy, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and spices in a separate bowl and stir. Then add slowly to the mixer. Either way, let the mixer mix it all together really well. Then add the oats and mix it some more.

I like to use my small cookie scoop, about 1 rounded tsp, and drop cookies on ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. Allow cookies to cool for a minute or two on sheet and then remove to cooling rack. This made 66 cookies, so 5 1/2 dozen.

This recipe was loosely based on Quaker's Vanishing Oatmeal Cookies. Although that was really just a starting point...and I didn't even start it out right because I used two sticks of butter since when I put the butter in the mixer, I still thought I was going to make chocolate chip cookies.

I thought these were delicious. I have now searched online and found other recipes that actually use real maple syrup in them, so I might try that sometime instead of using extract. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment