Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Frozen Cookie Dough

Last Thursday was Claire's first day of Pre-school so I decided to make her cookies that evening. I only wanted to make one cookie sheet worth and using my favorite cookie sheet that is 15 cookies. Which left me with quite a bit of dough to freeze for another time. My mom usually freezes already baked cookies, but I LOVE having fresh baked cookies so I like to freeze the raw dough.

What I do to freeze cookie dough is line a large cookie sheet (not one that has been in the oven recently - it needs to be room temperature or cooler) with parchment paper or wax paper. Then I use one of my cookie scoops - I didn't have a cookie scoop for a long time and now I don't know how I survived with out one - and place a bunch of cookie dough balls on the cookie sheet until the sheet is full or you run out of dough. The spacing between the cookie dough balls doesn't matter as long as they aren't touching. I have two cookie scoops, this small one and this medium one, I use the small one usually, but this time I went with the medium one.

frozencookiedough1

Then put the cookie sheet in the freezer for a few hours or over night, they need to be at least mostly frozen. I like to store mine in a gallon size Ziploc bag, but they could be stored in any resealable container. Label it with the type of cookie and baking instructions - for most cookies 375 for 10 minutes is pretty good, watch the first batch and adjust the time as needed. Then put all the cookie dough balls in the container and put back in the freezer until you need to bake some cookies. The nice part of storing them this way is you can easily reach in the bag and get out just what you need.

frozencookiedough

You can also easily reach in the bag and grab a frozen ball of cookie dough and eat it raw...not that I would do that...

These are some cookies that Pioneer Woman recently posted on her blog and they are DELICIOUS (recipe here). She likes to freeze them in long roll/tube and then slice off what she needs. But that's too much work for me when I need a cookie now.

No comments:

Post a Comment