Tuesday, January 22, 2013

2013 Motto 2: Have Experiences Not Stuff

So, after Christmas which was followed by a LaLaLoopsy addiction that got out of hand which was followed by Claire's birthday, I feel like we are swimming in stuff (and a lot adorable dolls with creepy button eyes). While Claire loves the LaLaLoopsy dolls, I'm feeling overwhelmed. Which lead to a late evening search for Buy Experiences Not Stuff. From that was born one of my many mottos for the year: Have Experiences Not Stuff.

When we're bored on a Saturday afternoon - go have an experience! Do not go to Target or the Mall or wherever to "just get out of the house" and come home with another toy/movie/etc.

I need to come up with a few experiences that are cheap, repeatable, and 4-yr old appropriate. I've already bought Union Station passes for this year, so going to Union Station (and particularly Science City) will probably happen regularly. Our aquarium pass doesn't expire until April 22, so we can still go there a few more times. Maybe a movie, or the park, or a museum.

I don't want EVERYTHING to be a "go out experience". What experiences can we have a home? Obviously some of them would need stuff to accomplish anything, but what about building something? Or baking/cooking something?

I need to come up with a list...actually, TWO lists. One for GOING OUT experiences. One for AT HOME experiences. And even those lists will be divided into categories - for the going out list, somethings will be cheap/free/regular things (park, pool - in the summer, walk around the block, etc). Others will be semi-special outings (Science City, Aquarium, Zoo, Farmstead, Non-Olathe pools, Movies, Monkey Bizness etc) they are still relatively cheap since I have passes right now, but they are farther away and definitely weekend activities. Special outings on the other hand will only happen every couple of months (day trips, amusement parks, big concerts). The at home list will probably be divided into categories (kitchen, short craft, long craft, etc).

Also, listen to the kids to gather ideas for experiences. Anaya has been wanting me to take her sledding forever, but I'd never really been a sledder and I didn't want to, and even though I have lived in this city for 20 years (since I was 10), I had no clue where to go sledding around here. This year, I finally took her (and Claire) sledding and it was fun. I even went down the hill once.

I tell people that I need a friend that will drag me kicking and screaming out of my comfort zone, but maybe the kids can do that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment