Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Apple Spice Muffins

We went apple picking last weekend which means I now have a ton of apples that I need to use. This started out as Apple Strudel Muffins, but when I made them last week they were REALLY dry. I hadn't made them since I was pregnant with Claire, I think, so I'm not sure if I was doing something different back then or if my standards were lower. They were good, but just dry. I ended up taking them to work and got a lot of compliments on them, but when I was getting ready to make them to take as a morning treat for my Sunday School class, I decided to try changing it a little bit.

apple muffins

1/2 cup Butter (salted)
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup White Sugar
2 Eggs
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
1 1/2 cups Apple (peeled & diced)
2 cups Flour
1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
a pinch of Salt
1 tsp Cinnamon
1-2 Tbsp Milk
Raw Sugar (for sprinkling)

Cream together the butter and sugars, then add the eggs and the vanilla.

Stir in apples

Combine dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon) in another bowl and then add to wet ingredients and stir until combined.

Stir in 1-2 Tbsp of Milk, the batter should be creamier than cookie dough, but not liquidy like cakes. The first time my batter was thicker like cookie dough.

Spray muffin tins, I make this recipe to make 48 mini muffins, it will also work as 12 normal muffins. Divide the batter evenly amongst muffins. (For mini muffins, I use a small cookie scoop to fill the muffin tin.)

Sprinkle with Raw Sugar. Bake at 375 degrees. For mini muffins, bake for 10-12 minutes. For regular size muffins, bake for 20-25 minutes.

Instead of Raw Sugar, you can make a strudel topping with 1/2 c brown sugar, 1 Tbsp Flour mixed together and then cut in 1 Tbsp of Butter. Both ways are yummy, but the Raw Sugar is easier for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment