Sunday, June 2, 2013

Recipe: Homemade Hot Pockets

For dinner tonight I made Homemade Hot Pockets. I made a couple different varieties using things I had on hand: Ham & Cheese, Turkey & Cheese and Pizza. Delicious.

I can't entirely claim these things, my mom used to make Taco Pockets using Grands Biscuits & Taco Meat. I've changed it up a little bit by making my own biscuit dough because it is easier to handle than Grands biscuits and I've experimented with different fillings.

hotpocket_1

This is the biscuit recipe that I used. I need to change it up a little bit and flavor the dough a bit to make it a little more savory - I think it would go better with everything. Next time I'll probably add a little onion salt or garlic or paprika or some combination of all those things. And only go through the step where you make the dough, don't actually cut into biscuits!

After you mix up the biscuit dough, divide it into 18 balls (assuming you used the full recipe for 24 biscuits). Lay them on a cookie sheet and place in the fridge or freezer to keep cold while you assemble the pockets.

On a floured surface, roll one ball out, place your filling down the middle of the dough.

Then fold both sides & the ends up and press all edges together. (it should look about like a hot pocket) Place on a baking sheet and poke a few holes in the top of it to release steam (otherwise your hot pockets might explode).

Bake at 450 degrees for 15-18 minutes - make sure all of the sides are browned. I pulled my first patch out a little early and some where a little doughy on the sides.

After baking them, you can either go ahead and eat them...or wrap in individual pockets of foil or ziploc bags, label with the type of filling and place in the freezer. To reheat, put in the microwave for about 2 minutes (or until filling is hot).

hotpocket_2

No comments:

Post a Comment